Tuesday 27 October 2015

GIANTS OF LOVERS ROCK - 9TH EDITION

By Coral Consciouslee
27th October 2015



So...the 9th year of the legendary Giants Of Lovers Rock took place this weekend.  I was fortunate to be able to attend and found it a very enjoyable experience.

We arrived a little later than planned to find the show had already started.  Even better, there was quite a gathering already in front of the stage. The band sounded tight, the mic was pitched just right.  One could hear the quality of whoever sang very clearly. 

As one may have seen from the flyer, those performing read like a who’s who in the Reggae Fraternity and they most definitely did not disappoint.  We were treated to a minimum of two or a maximum of four songs from each artist.  I found the show engaging and entertaining.  Robbie Gee and Eddie Nestor kept the crowd laughing, alert and attentive, before, between and even during each performance!

The show did seem to have a more polished and professional appearance compared to my last attendance.  One particular thing that really pleased me was seeing a lady doing sign language to the left of the artist on stage.  She was very good considering how many songs she had to sign.  What a feat!  I thought Orlando was very good to consider those who might not be able to hear, but decided to come to the show.  I did wonder however, why the screens around the 02 were not used to enable everyone to comfortably see those who were performing on stage.  The place was quite full and the stage, although raised, may have been difficult for some to see, depending on where they were standing.

Reggae music is a genre that is viewed as the music of black people, but I noticed that there seemed to be more of a mixed multitude at this particular event. Music like sport, can often bridge what can be perceived as an ever-widening gap in culture and ethnicity.  It was good to see,

Where I had chosen to stand gave me the advantage of meeting and greeting the many artists who were going on to the stage and also the pleasure of watching everyone having a “catch-up” with each other.  I remember seeing Victor Romero Evans recording Michael Gordon’s performance on his phone!  There were some stunning vocals and the audience responded accordingly to the familiar songs that they know and love so well.  I don’t usually state an obvious preference, but I have to say that Mr Paul Dawkins sang so perfectly and beautifully, my jaw dropped and I stopped dancing!  The mic, the band and his voice were in perfect harmony and sinc.  I sincerely hope there is a recording because for me he was the artist of the night.  I also loved the way he used the stage and how he engaged the crowd. 

Orlando Gittens very cleverly blended up and coming artists such as Cassandra London (who was well received and gave an outstanding performance), with UK and international artists so that there was a spectrum of many songs for the listener.  I think each individual in the audience would have heard at least one favourite song before they left the show.

My one regret is that I had to leave before the show finished in order to catch the last train.  Although I stated that the show started more or less on time, I do think that there may have been too many artists for the time allocated.  To miss the performances of Janet Kay, Carroll Thompson and a few others was disappointing. 


That aside, I had a very good time and I congratulate Orlando Gittens and his company Music Therapy, on his dedication, perseverance and hard work.  I also commend all those who contributed to making it a memorable evening; I am sure the best is yet to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment